numpy, numarray, or numeric?

Frank supervau at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 01:23:27 EST 2007

On Feb 15, 4:40 pm, "Christian Convey" <christian.con... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I need to bang out an image processing library (it's schoolwork, so I
> can't just use an existing one).  But I see three libraries competing
> for my love: numpy, numarray, and numeric.
>
> Can anyone recommend which one I should use?  If one is considered the
> officially blessed one going forward, that would be my ideal.
>
> Thanks,
> Christian

Hi,

yeah numpy is the newest one. It has only one drawback, there is no
comprehensive documentation available that would be free but of course
you could buy one. numpy is very similar to the other two packages but
not identical that means one has always some troulbe finding out how
things work. For example, in numarray you can calculate the
eigenvectors of a matrix with eigenvectors(A), in numpy it is eig(A).
This looks similar, but the difference is that in numarray the
eigenvectors are returned as rows and in numpy as columns.

If someone knows of a free manual, let me know.

Frank