when will python 2.5 take in mainstream?

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:46:29 EST 2007

On Feb 6, 3:35 pm, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> Ben Sizer <kylo... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >It would be great if someone could invest some time in trying to fix
> >this problem. I don't think I know of any other languages that require
> >recompilation of libraries for every minor version increase.
>
> How do you define "minor version increase"?  If you look at the
> progression from 2.0 through 2.5, it's pretty clear that each version
> doesn't particularly fit "minor version increase" even though each one
> only increments by 0.1.

I can't say I agree with that. In terms of naming, it's a minor
release because the 'major' release number has stayed at 2. In terms
of time, it's a minor release because it's only happening about once
every 18 months or so - a short period in computer language terms. In
terms of semantics, I'd argue they are minor releases because
generally the changes are just minor additions rather than large
revisions; I don't see much in the way of significant language
alterations for 2.5 apart from arguably 'unified try/except/finally',
nor in 2.4. I don't count addition of new types or modules as 'major'.
The language itself is fairly stable; it's just the way that it links
to extensions which is pretty fragile.

--
Ben Sizer