How to spider through a secure site?

Gardner Pomper gardner at networknow.org
Thu Dec 20 23:27:14 EST 2007

Thanks, I tried googling 'python ssl certificate' and I am still not finding
answers.

I think part of my problem is that I am not clear on what is going on under
the covers. I have found an example of connecting via https
here<http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/117004>but
that seems to require a "certificate file", which I don't have (that I
am aware of).

When I point my web browser at the infinite campus URL, it first responds
with a certificate warning, saying that the certificate might be registered
to a different site. So, this must be where the server is sending the
certificate file to my browser. If I could capture and save that file, I
could then probably use the example mentioned above with
httplib.HTTPSConnection() to connect to the server.

So, I guess my question comes down to how do I connect to the first URL,
without a certificate file, and then receive the response back with the
certificate file, so that I can then reconnect using the certificate?

Anyone have some sample code out there for this?

- Gardner