Python surpasses Perl in TIOBE index

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Dec 5 00:57:15 EST 2007

In article <mailman.1928.1196833569.13605.python-list at python.org>,
 "Daniel Fetchinson" <fetchinson at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Anyone has an idea what the huge peak around the middle of 2004 can be
> attributed to?

There's a Q/A section at the bottom of
http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index which covers this:

Q: What happened to Java in April 2004? Did you change your methodology?
A: No, we did not change our methodology at that time. Google changed its
methodology. They performed a general sweep action to get rid of all kinds
of web sites that had been pushed up. As a consequence, there was a huge
drop for languages such as Java and C++. In order to minimize such
fluctuations in the future, we added two more search engines (MSN and
Yahoo) a few months after this incident.