readlines() reading incorrect number of lines?

Wojciech Gryc wojciech at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:48:54 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm currently using Python to deal with a fairly large text file (800
MB), which I know has about 85,000 lines of text. I can confirm this
because (1) I built the file myself, and (2) running a basic Java
program to count lines yields a number in that range.

However, when I use Python's various methods -- readline(),
readlines(), or xreadlines() and loop through the lines of the file,
the line program exits at 16,000 lines. No error output or anything --
it seems the end of the loop was reached, and the code was executed
successfully.

I'm baffled and confused, and would be grateful for any advice as to
what I'm doing wrong, or why this may be happening.

Thank you,
Wojciech Gryc