Debugging pipe IPC

Jim B. Wilson wilson at afn.org
Mon Dec 17 15:03:19 EST 2007

Ian Clark wrote:
> Jim B. Wilson wrote:
>> The child/client sends requests on its stdout and receives responses
>> on stdin.
>
> So, why can't you just run this client on the command line and let the
> shell handle stdin/stdout for you?

I'm not sure I understand the topology of your proposal?  And, it's
certainly possible the shell has mystical powers of which I am unaware.

Are you suggesting a run client that spews the mother's messages to the
terminal, and I somehow cut/paste them into the client, running with
stdin/stdout unconnected to anything but me?  Or is there some
combination of tee, etal.,  I can lash together so that my commands (to
the client) don't get mixed up with mother's messages?

Some such arrangement would surely help.  I often forget the ">>stderr,"
on my scratch-head debugging prints, and mother gets quite upset when
the incoming message doesn't fit the mold :)

Jim