"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Russ P. Russ.Paielli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 02:55:32 EST 2007

On Dec 1, 11:34 pm, "Hendrik van Rooyen" <m... at microcorp.co.za> wrote:
> "Russ P." <Ru...gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am surprised to see that Newton is not taken. I urge
> > Guido to take it while it is still available. Sir Isaac
> > certainly deserves the honor.
>
> Does he?  Are you aware of how he treated Hooke?
>
> He was a great technician, but as a person, you would
> not have had him marry your sister.
>
> - 1 on this silly "Newton" idea.
>
> - Hendrik

I neither know nor care much about Newton's personality and social
graces, but I can assure you that he was more than a "technician" (no
offense to technicians).

If you just read the Wikipedia preamble about him you will realize
that he is arguably the greatest scientist who ever lived. Sorry for
the inefficient use of bandwidth, but I just couldn't refrain from
copying it here:

Sir Isaac Newton FRS (pronounced /ˈnjuːtən/) (4 January 1643 – 31
March 1727) [ OS: 25 December 1642 – 20 March 1727][1] was an English
physicist, mathematician, astronomer, natural philosopher, and
alchemist. His treatise Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica,
published in 1687, described universal gravitation and the three laws
of motion, laying the groundwork for classical mechanics, which
dominated the scientific view of the physical universe for the next
three centuries and is the basis for modern engineering. He showed
that the motions of objects on Earth and of celestial bodies are
governed by the same set of natural laws by demonstrating the
consistency between Kepler's laws of planetary motion and his theory
of gravitation, thus removing the last doubts about heliocentrism and
advancing the scientific revolution.

In mechanics, Newton enunciated the principles of conservation of
momentum and angular momentum. In optics, he invented the reflecting
telescope and developed a theory of colour based on the observation
that a prism decomposes white light into a visible spectrum. He also
formulated an empirical law of cooling and studied the speed of sound.

In mathematics, Newton shares the credit with Gottfried Leibniz for
the development of the calculus. He also demonstrated the generalized
binomial theorem, developed the so-called "Newton's method" for
approximating the zeroes of a function, and contributed to the study
of power series.

In a 2005 poll of the Royal Society of who had the greatest effect on
the history of science, Newton was deemed more influential than Albert
Einstein.[2]