Deleting lines from a file

Michael Bentley michael at jedimindworks.com
Mon Dec 17 08:15:14 EST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 5:34 AM, Horacius ReX wrote:

> I need to write a program which reads an external text file. Each time
> it reads, then it needs to delete some lines, for instance from second
> line to 55th line. The file is really big, so what do you think is the
> fastest method to delete specific lines in a text file ?

AFAIK, there really isn't much you can do to *speed* the reading and
writing of the large text file.  But maybe you can avoid doing it too
much.  If you must make many changes it might help to just keep a list
of lines to consider "deleted" -- and write the modified file out later.

hth,
Michael

---
"I use tuples simply because of their mellifluous appellation." --Neil
Cerutti