"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Boris Borcic bborcic at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 08:25:59 EST 2007

Russ P. wrote:
> If I had invented Python, I would have called it Newton or Euler,
> arguably the greatest scientist and mathematician ever, respectively.

This makes your taste on the matter dubious.

Such choice of a name implies either a claim to the fame of the Person that's
devoid of substance. Or else a degree of carelessness about name capture that
casts doubt on the quality of the language design. Or else a claim by the
language designers/namers to themselves borrow from the Person while destining
the language to grunt practitioners not expected to have any (further) need to
refer to said Person.

Not serious - not even serious marketing, IMHO.