detecting disc serial number without win32

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Mon Dec 10 11:40:09 EST 2007

PiErre wrote:

>   I have to run a python script on a Linux machine. This script was
> developed on a windows workstation and it
> uses the win32 library to detect the cd (or dvd) serial number (in the
> XXXX-XXXX format).
> How can I change the script to do the same task on linux?
> I found an old post on the same task [ "(Joliet) volume name and
> serial number" on  26 Feb 2003 ]
> but without answer...

Hey, that was my first post on c.l.py. After that underwhelming response I
took to answering posts :-)

> Any chance there is now a way of implement such a low-level
feature?

On Ubuntu there is the python-cddb package

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/python/python-cddb

providing DiskID.disk_id(), and retrieving CD titles etc. works fine.

However, comparing the disk IDs with the serial numbers in that Access-DB
of yore, they differ -- so back to square one.

Older not wiser,
Peter