Best way to protect my new commercial software.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Dec 10 14:48:03 EST 2007

On 2007-12-10, Chris Mellon <arkanes at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > You cannot distribute any program with the expectation that it
>> > cannot be reverse engineered.
>> [snip]
>>

>> >From the OP's post, it seemed likely to me that the OP was asked by a
>> misguided management to make sure it was "reverse-engineer-proof".  So
>> any attempt to convince the OP may be aimed at the wrong person.
>>
>> Misguided as they are, sometimes you have to placate these people.
>> So, are there any ways to make it "harder" to reverse engineer a
>> program?
>
> Just telling them you did is at least as effective as anything else.
> Anyone who knows enough to know that you're lying knows why it's
> impossible.

If you're distributing source code, run it through pyobfuscate
and call it done.  Otherwise, just use py2exe or something
similar to bundle it up.  Both are pretty ineffective at
preventing reverse engineering.  But so's everything else.  If
none of the options really work, then you might as well pick an
ineffective one that's cheap and easy.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Am I having fun yet?
                                  at