Python DLL in Windows Folder

Ross Ridge rridge at caffeine.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Dec 28 07:41:48 EST 2007

<martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> I did, and determined that it's not possible.  We would have to use
> assembly manifests, and can't, as the tool chain doesn't support them.

Your choice to use a tool chain that doesn't support side-by-side
assemblies does not make it impossible.

>> No, simply by changing the name you've prevented backwards compatiblity
>> with the old DLL.
>
>First, the requirement for backwards compatibility is not normative.
>Section 2.6 is entitled "Install any shared files that are not
>side-by-side to the correct locations". python25.dll, as a matter of
>fact, *is* a shared file that is not side-by-side; the *only* location
>I can install in according to 2.6 is the System folder.

No, the only thing that the guidelines require to be installed in the
system directory are services and drivers.  The only exception for other
kinds of applications is when necessary for backwards compatibility.

>> You can't argue you're trying to maintain backwards
>> compatibilty with an old DLL when you've already broken compatibility
>> with it.
>
>Furthermore, it says "to ensure backward compatibility with those
>applications", not "to ensure backward compatibility with the old DLL".

Now you're just trying play pointless semantic games.  If you change
the DLL's name, the DLL is no longer compatibile with those applications.

>> Since the existing applications have to be rebuilt to use the
>> new DLL they also can be changed to use it from a new shared location.
>
>No, they can't, because there is not enough manpower available to change
>them.

And that's what this all really comes down to.  Because neither you nor
anyone else is willing to do the work necessary to do the "Right Thing",
you have chosen not to follow Microsoft's recommended best practices
for installing Windows applications.  It's not because it's impossible,
it's because you're unwilling.

Is that really all that hard to admit?

					Ross Ridge

--