IronPython faster than CPython?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Tue Dec 18 17:40:20 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 9:18 am, "Jack" <nos... at invalid.com> wrote:
> I learned a lot from the other thread 'Is a "real" C-Python possible?' about
> Python performance and optimization. I'm almost convinced that Python's
> performance is pretty good for this dynamic language although there are
> areas to improve, until I read some articles that say IronPython is a few
> times faster. I find it amazing that something that's written in C and runs
> on hardware is slower than a .NET app that runs on CLR as managed code:
>
> http://www.python.org/~jeremy/weblog/031209a.html

Four years old. IP 0.1 vs CP 2.3. Sheesh.

> http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonmatusow/archive/2005/03/28/402940.aspx

Close to 3 years old but somewhat more meaningful ...

"""IronPython 0.7 is up to 1.8x faster than Python-2.4 on the standard
pystone benchmark. The key to IronPython's performance is that it
compiles Python code to .NET Intermediary Language which is then
translated to optimized machine code by the runtime."""

Where did you get "a few times faster" from?