Newbie observations

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed Dec 19 06:51:41 EST 2007

MartinRinehart at gmail.com wrote:

>> My 2 cents.
>
> Eurozone? That would be 3 cents US.
>
> I meant colon, not semi-colon. I did the tutorial. I did objects 3
> times.
>
> In Java, the agreed convention is to use lowerAndUpper naming for
> member variables.  (See
> http://www.MartinRinehart.com/articles/code-conventions.html#5_1 .)
>
> 10 days is not enough. But I don't have any more clarity in my Python
> classes than I did in Java. Just more "self"s.

Believe me: I do java for a living, but I'm hoping to change that ASAP to go
with python (and the occasional C) - because my expressiveness in Python is
so much larger than with Java. Mixins, higher-order functions, Metaclasses,
decorators, properties, multiline strings, local functions in Java? No,
sir!

The thing is: self won't go away. Others have tried it - and didn't succeed.
Try and adapt. If you can't, you won't get happy with python - because its
not going to change.

Diez