Python DLL in Windows Folder

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe+thunder at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 06:13:51 EST 2007

Markus Gritsch:

> I assume that your Python applications are .py files.  To be able to
> run them it would be perfectly ok if the Python DLL would be located
> beside the python.exe in the Python installation folder.

    Your Python application may not be being run by python.exe but as an
in-process COM object by, for example, Internet Explorer. COM loads the
Python COM DLL pythoncomXY.dll which loads pythonXY.dll through an
implicit link step. The implicit link will only find pythonXY.dll in a
particular set of places (path, system directories, host executable),
with the Windows system directory being the easiest to find and use.

    Neil