Cheat sheet

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Dec 31 03:23:21 EST 2007

En Sat, 29 Dec 2007 06:58:27 -0200, ZeD <vito.detullio at gmail.com> escribi�:

> Michele Simionato wrote:
>
>> Nowadays file is no more an alias for open.
>
> curious... maybe it's me, but I can't find a "What's New in Python" where
> this is said...

See Misc/NEWS:
- Patch #1479181: split open() and file() from being aliases for each
other.

> also, in 2.6 docs (and also in 2.5) remains this footer:
> http://docs.python.org/dev/library/stdtypes.html#id14
> http://www.python.org/doc/2.5/lib/bltin-file-objects.html#foot4449
>
> file() is new in Python 2.2. The older built-in open() is an alias for
> file().

I can't see that footer in the current docs. But in some places it says
"if the file was created with the open() built-in function, then..." that
now might be confusing.

Being open!=file, each one can have a different docstring. open() just
wraps file(), they have the same behavior [but open is a function and file
is a type]

--
Gabriel Genellina