state machine and a global variable

Fri Dec 14 19:50:35 EST 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:06:28 +0100, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

> Now the question is: why do you think it's so important for your users
> to only see functions ? What's so wrong with:
>
> from state_machine import *
> m = get_state_machine()
> m.set_state(42)

I can't speak for the "only" part, but it is sometimes really convenient
to have a set of *cough* convenience functions that do the simple stuff
for you. For example:

import random
random.random()

is much nicer for the simple cases than:

import random
prng = random.Random()
prng.random()

with the advantage that you can still instantiate your own instance if
you need/want to.

--
Steven.