New+old-style multiple inheritance

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 10:55:15 EST 2007

On Dec 18, 3:16 pm, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 18, 10:08 am, "stephen... at googlemail.com"
>
> <stephen... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > We are trying to monkey-patch a third-party library that mixes new and
> > old-style classes with multiple inheritance.
>
> New library?  Geez, if people are dumb enough to do this, are you sure
> you want your application to depend on their library?
>
> Sometimes you have to work with code that's not up to your standards,
> but come on.

Doing the armchair code reviewer without context is easy but my guess
would be that the old style library classes were written long before
the new style ones (perhaps even before the latter were introduced)
and/or written independently by different developers/groups, without
any plan to mix the two in the future. Also remember that up to 2.4
even the standard exception classes were old-style so it's not safe to
assume that you only have new style classes to worry about when the
very standard library includes lots of legacy code.

George