Is a "real" C-Python possible?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Tue Dec 11 01:49:37 EST 2007

> We obviously need more effort to make Python more efficient for CPU
> bound tasks. Particularly JIT compilation like Java, compilation like
> Lisp or data specialization like Psyco.

Given that the Python core team has been mostly silent about JIT
compilation and Armin Rigos work in particular which started 5 years
ago ( Psyco will not be promoted towards Python 3.0 and there is no
indication that anyone but Armin would maintain Psyco ) I wonder about
this sudden insight. But maybe you can tell us more when you work on
such stuff for CPython yourself? Given your status in the core Python
team this would have a chance of not being just a loosely coupled
independent project as almost all the interesting stuff that happens
around Python these days.