Is Python really a scripting language?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Thu Dec 13 13:32:23 EST 2007

On 13 Des, 02:19, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> I have repeatedly argued in the past that we do ourselves a disservice by
> describing Python as an interpreted language. Python is compiled. It has
> a compiler. It even has a built-in function "compile".

Python is compiled to bytecode. Python's bytecode is interpreted. Does
that make Python interpreted or compiled? I could not care less.

The terms 'scripting language' and 'interpreted language' have
somewhat different meanings. 'Scripting language' typically means a
language used for one of:

- Shell scripts
- Automation macros in a larger application
- Code embedded in a web page
- CGI

Python, Perl, Lisp and Visual Basic are certainly used as scripting
languages in some settings. But that does not mean it is the only
thing they can be used for. On the other hand, JavaScript and Bourne
shell have little use except as scripting languages.