Is a "real" C-Python possible?

Jack nospam at invalid.com
Sun Dec 9 19:07:39 EST 2007

>> I think most Java-Python benchmarks you can find online will indicate
>> that Java is a 3-10 times faster. A few here:
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-January/125789.html
>> http://blog.snaplogic.org/?p=55
>
> There are lies, damn lies and benchmarks. :)
>
> Pure Python code is not going to beat Java code until the Python core
> gets a  JIT compiler. If you want fair results you have to either
> disable the JIT in Java or use Psyco for Python. Otherwise you are
> comparing the quality of one language implementation to the quality of a
> JIT compiler.

The second articple does have a column for Psyco. It helps in some areas
but still not good enough to stand up against Java. Plus, Psyco is not the
main stream and has stopped development.

I'm also wondering, if Psyco is the right way to do, any reason it's not
being integrated into standard Python?