"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:22:19 EST 2007

On 04/12/2007, Hendrik van Rooyen <mail at microcorp.co.za> wrote:

> "Dotan Cohen" <dotan....ail.com> wrote:
>
> > Newton was the bridge between science and superstition. Without him,
> > we would not have science. For that he is notable. He is both magician
> > and scientist. It was Newton's belief in the occult that led to his
> > discovery of gravity: the fact that distant objects could influence
> > one another. Even today, science has a hard time accepting that. And
> > gravity _still_ has not been incorporated into a theory of everything
> > / grand unified theory.
>
> You live in exciting times - google for "surfer dude" and E8 for a paper
> that purports to be a theory of everything.  I stumbled across it last week
> and downloaded a pdf but true to form I have lost the link.
>
> It was written by A. Garrett Lisi.
>
> Even if his theory pans out, I would oppose changing the language name
> to Garrett, or Lisi, on the grounds that John Cleese was funnier.

I read the paper a few weeks ago when it appeared on /.. It was quite
a bit over my head, but to tell you the truth, I think that it has a
fighting chance. It explains the family relationship between
particles, and even predicts new particles. So it can be tested. Until
some of those particles are found, however, I'm still in the string
camp.

Maybe we could rename Python to String?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com