[OT] minimalist web server

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 1 22:02:41 EST 2007

> > I'm looking for the most minimalist web server ever that does nothing
> > else than return a fixed static page for every request. Regardless of
> > what the request is, it just needs to be an HTTP request to port 80,
> > the web server should return always the same html document. What would
> > be the best choice for this? The goal is of course to minimize system
> > resources in terms of memory, cpu, etc, etc.
>
> If you're running linux, maybe you want tux.
>
> publicfile isn't exactly what you describe, but its description might
> be of some interest:
>
> http://cr.yp.to/publicfile.html

Thanks, tux looks good, the only problem is that one needs to
recompile the kernel which I really don't want to do (so yes, I'm on
linux). Publicfile seems to "know" already too much.

The reason I need this is that my current best strategy to avoid ads
in web pages is putting all ad server names into /etc/hosts and stick
my local ip number next to them (127.0.0.1) so every ad request goes
to my machine. I run apache which has an empty page for 404 errors so
I'll just see that blank page for every ad. Now I guess apache is a
pretty heavy weight guy so I'm looking for a lightweight alternative.
Lighttpd, nginx and company are all too complex and "know" too much. I
even considered just putting netcat into an infinite loop but I'm
afraid if there is a security hole in netcat I might be screwed.

Maybe now that I outlined a little more why I need this others can
come up with more suggestions.