at what complexity, a comparison fails ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 05:45:55 EST 2007

hello,

I had a program that worked perfectly well.
In this program modules were dynamically added,
just by putting the file in a predefined directory.

Now one of the interface mechanisms was to see if some parameter was
changed in a an instance,
by comparing the value from the instance with its previous value

This went all well, untill I added a too complex variable,
then the program stopped working, without generating exceptions.

So it seems that comparing a too complex value isn't allowed.
the variable was something like:

<float>, ... ] ]

So what I need was something like:
    if  A != A_prev :
        ... do something
        A_prev = A

And this crashes, or at least it doesn't work but also doesn't generate
exceptions.
It does seems to work, if A only contains 1 array.

Why am I not allowed to compare A and A_prev ??
And in general, how complex might a list be to make a valid comparison,
or what are the rules ?

thanks,
Stef Mientki