python "sounds-like" module

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Dec 12 20:15:40 EST 2007

On Dec 13, 11:39 am, Astan Chee <st... at al.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for all the help from the previous problem. Turns out I didnt
> have to use wxSizers, just change the size of my wxWidgets everytime a
> EVT_SIZE is called.
> Anyway, Im trying to find a python module (im not sure if it exists)
> that takes two words and compares if they sound the same. So 'right' and
> 'write' sounds the same or 'u' and 'you' . Also I know this takes into
> account the use of language and accent but is there any out there before
> I start making my own?
> Thanks
> Astan

Google for febrl, a Python package for record matching -- it contains
implementations of several "fuzzy matching" methods, including
phonetic ones. Look at the academic papers that this project has
produced; one at least compares the matching methods.

Someone is sure to trot out the hoary old soundex ... believe me, it's
teh suxxor.

Cheers,
John