Help %A in time.strftime(%A)

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Dec 19 20:39:09 EST 2007

En Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:59:25 -0300, jolly <jemnader at gmail.com> escribió:

> I'm following a tutorial on Python and I came across this in one of
> the examples.
>
> import time
>
> today = time.localtime(time.time())
> theDate = time.strftime("%A %B %d", today)
>
> print today
> print theDate
>

> Result:
>

> (2007, 12, 20, 9, 48, 15, 3, 354, 1)
> Thursday December 20
>

> can someone explain to me the %A and the %B?

The format is documented in the Library Reference, at
<http://docs.python.org/lib/module-time.html#l2h-2816>
%A is Locale's full weekday name (Thursday in your example)
%B is Locale's full month name (December in your example)

If you want to see how all other formats work:

import time
import string

now = time.localtime()
for char in string.ascii_letters: