new style class

Bruce Coram brucecoram at clara.co.uk
Sat Dec 8 18:14:44 EST 2007

Aahz wrote:
> In article <mailman.781.1194004722.13605.python-list at python.org>,
> Nigel Rantor  <wiggly at wiggly.org> wrote:
>
>> I think what Boris was being exceedingly unhelpful in saying was "why
>> should it work when you're calling methods that do not exist"

Eric Raymond's advice on how to ask questions the smart way would seem
to provide an excuse for people with ego control problems to indulge
themselves at the expense of others.  While it is undoubtedly true that
there are people who post who should spend more time reading and
researching the problem, that is no excuse for replies that  are rude,
hostile or exhibit similar displays of ill-tempered arrogance.  Eric
Raymond should perhaps re-read his advice and re-draft it to avoid
providing cover for those 'experts' who are either rude or ignorant - or
both.   If an 'expert' has time to indulge his/her ego is such an
intemperate manner then he/she probably doesn't have enough to do, or
enjoys being rude.  The best response to those who can not be bothered
to do the necessary work is either no reply or a simple "You would be
well advised to do some research before asking your question."   We do
not need to make life any more difficult than it already is.  Civility
costs nothing.  Eric Raymond's article, which offer's good advice, is
rather misguided in not only providing an excuse for poor behaviour but
almost actively encouraging it.  This is a pity since the essence of the
document is very good advice.

Bruce Coram