importing a user file in Python

David Tweet davidtweet at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 02:51:50 EST 2007

You have options:
1)  Have the file in your current working directory, in which case
it's just "import odbchelper".
2)  Change your PYTHONPATH in your shell, adding a line like this to
your bashrc perhaps:
      export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/home/jw/diveintopython-5.4/py
       ... and do the same import line in your code once you've
sourced your bashrc again.

On Nov 30, 2007 11:42 PM, waltbrad <waltbrad at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. I'm brand new to Python. I'm running a Kubuntu system and
> working through the "diveintopython" tutorial.  The author of that
> gives these instructions:

> server=mpilgrim;uid=sa;database=master;pwd=secret
> Build a connection string from a dictionary
> Returns string.
>

> I've tried to enter this into the interpreter but the very first
> instruction:

> gives me this:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named odbche
>
> I've tried to enter the pathname:

> and I get this error:

>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     import /home/jw/diveintopython-5.4/py/odbchelper.py
>            ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> >>>

> Where on my system do I have to place these files before the
> interpreter will import them?
>
> Thanks.
> --

-David