RegExp Help

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Fri Dec 14 03:04:05 EST 2007

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:49:20 -0800, Sean DiZazzo wrote:

> I'm wrapping up a command line util that returns xml in Python.  The
> util is flaky, and gives me back poorly formed xml with different
> problems in different cases.  Anyway I'm making progress.  I'm not
> very good at regular expressions though and was wondering if someone
> could help with initially splitting the tags from the stdout returned
> from the util.
>
> […]
>
> Can anyone help me?

Flaky XML is often produced by programs that treat XML as ordinary text
files. If you are starting to parse XML with regular expressions you are
making the very same mistake.  XML may look somewhat simple but
producing correct XML and parsing it isn't.  Sooner or later you stumble
across something that breaks producing or parsing the "naive" way.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch