Best way to protect my new commercial software.

Preston Landers planders at journyx.com
Tue Dec 18 10:27:37 EST 2007

Jan Claeys(usenet at janc.be)@2007.12.18 12:06:08 +0000:
> Op Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:54:35 +0000, schreef Grant Edwards:
>
> > Uh what?  I don't know what country you're in, but in the US, it doesn't
> > take any time at all to copyright something.  The mere act of writing
> > something copyrights it.  I thought it was the same in Europe as well.
>
> No, it's only copyrighted when you _publish_ it.

If we're still talking about US law here you are incorrect.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork

Quoting:

* When is my work protected?

Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and
fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or
with the aid of a machine or device.

* Do I have to register with your office to be protected?

No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the
moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you
wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular
1, Copyright Basics, section 'Copyright Registration.'