weird embedding problem

DavidM nospam at nowhere.com
Fri Dec 7 01:01:36 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm embedding python in a C prog which is built as a linux shared lib.

The prog is linked against libpython, and on startup, it calls
Py_Initialize().

The prog imports a pure-python script. The script starts up ok, but when
it imports the 'math' module, the import fails with:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/david/work/video/myprogs/dvedit/test/frei0rfx1.py", line 10, in <module>
    import math
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/math.so: undefined symbol: PyExc_ValueError
Failed to import math

Any ideas of how to work around this?

Please note - the program I'm writing *must* be built as a shared lib, so
the usual practice of 'extend, don't embed' is just not an option here.

Thoughts?

Cheers