Is Python really a scripting language?

Martin P. Hellwig xng at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 14 17:34:41 EST 2007

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Ron Provost" <ron.longo at cox.net> wrote in message
> news:009101c83c55$4ee07a00$6501a8c0 at aristotle...
> But here's my problem, most of my coworkers, when they see my apps and
> learn that they are written in Python ask questions like, "Why would you
> write that in a scripting language?"  Whenever I hear a comment like that I
> can feel myself boiling inside.
> ===================
>
> I don't blame you.  Python is an full-fledged algorithm/programming
> language that was designed to *also* be used a scripting language.

One of the nicest thing of python is that when coworkers say that,we
prefer (java |.net). I can always say, oh no problem there is a python
interpreter for that. Python can be used as a scripting language, yes,
also OO wise or procedural and whatever more. So for me it is quite
logical to use a language that gives me the advantage to go from quick
and dirty to full fledged unit tested programming in whatever
programming paradigm is hot these days. Python might still lack a bit on
the GUI side, but I believe this is not a problem of python but mere to
the interpretation of GUI. GUI is still an art in it's early stage.

Python is in my view a liberal programming language, it has power,
simplicity while containing flexibility and it doesn't preach whatever
programming paradigm. So yes Python can shoot you in the foot in ways
you could never imagined before, but remember it is you who held the
barrel that way, and remind yourself, with other languages you probably
weren't able to build the gun anyway. So which of these is better is
your choice.

--
mph