Python for web...

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Wed Dec 26 03:43:55 EST 2007

thushianthan15 at gmail.com a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have to develop a web based enterprise application

"enterprise" ???

> for my final year
> project. Since i am interested in open source, i searched the net.
> Almost 90% of them were PHP and MySQL. Cant we use python for that ?

Well, I don't know if *you* can, but as far as I'm concerned, that what
I do whenever possible !-)

> tried several sites, but there is not enough tutorial for beginners
> [mod_python, PSP etc]. I couldnt find any detailed book, not even a
> single book :( All the python books are covering only CGI part)

Knowing CGI is certainly not the worst starting point wrt/ web
development - I whish more PHP 'programmers' had the minimal
understanding of the HTTP protocol required to write a CGI script (and
any serious web app FWIW).

> Any suggestions?

Django or Pylons are probably what you're looking for. The first one is
the more mature, stable, and well documented, and the second one the
most promising IMHO. If you're new to both web development and Python,
I'd actually recommand Django.

> Any recommended book?

The HTTP 1.1 RFC !-)

> Execuse my English.

Seems fine to me - at least understandable, and that's the important
point, isn't it ?-)