Newbie edit/compile/run cycle question

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 8 20:40:39 EST 2007

--- Jeremy C B Nicoll <jeremy at omba.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve Howell <showell30 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > There are a zillion powerful editors out there.
> I've
> > been productive in EditPlus, MultiEdit, SlickEdit,
> > vim, and emacs, just to throw out a few examples.
>
> What command (in XP) does one need to issue to
> syntax check a saved python
> script without running it?

Perhaps oversimplifying a bit, running "python" does a
syntax check, and if it passes, moves on the next
steps of interpretation/execution.

> Does a syntax check report all syntax errors or just
> the first one found?

Just the first one.  In practice, you end up fixing
them one at a time anyway, so this works for me, as
long as I have a fluid way to call out to python and
return to the editor.