"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Russ P. Russ.Paielli at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 16:40:10 EST 2007

On Dec 1, 12:47 pm, "J. Clifford Dyer" <j... at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 12:10 -0800, Russ P. wrote:
> > On Dec 1, 2:10 am, Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-
> > mail-0306.20.chr0n... at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>
> > > Why not?
>
> > Think about proposing its use to someone who has never heard of it
> > (which I did not too long ago). As the OP pointed out, a Python is a
> > snake. Why should a programming language be named after a snake?
>
> That's not a persuasive argument.
>
> First of all, Python is named for a comedy troupe from England.  For
> comparison, Perl is named for a knitting technique, Lisp is named for a
> speech impediment, Ruby is named for a rock, Smalltalk is named for a
> not-so-useful form of communication, and Java is named after a beverage
> or an island.
>
> Which of those is a good name for a programming language by your
> criterion?

None. None of them are good names by my criteria. But then, a name is
only a name. One of the few names I like is Pascal, because he was a
great mathematician and scientist.

After thinking about it a bit, here are examples of what I would
consider a good name for a programming language:

Newton#
Newton*
Newton+

Newton was a great scientist, and his name is easy to spell and
pronounce. The trailing character serves to disambiguate it from
Newton in online searches. For shorthand in online discussions, N#,
N*, or N+ could be used as aliases.

Names of other great scientists, mathematicians, or computer
scientists could also be used, of course. Take your pick.

How about renaming Python3000?