Is a "real" C-Python possible?

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Mon Dec 10 11:20:14 EST 2007

On Dec 9, 1:14 pm, "Jack" <nos... at invalid.com> wrote:
> I wonder if it's possible to have a Python that's completely (or at
> least for the most part) implemented in C, just like PHP - I think
> this is where PHP gets its performance advantage. Or maybe I'm wrong
> because the core modules that matter are already in C and those Python
> files are really a think wrapper. Anyhow, if would be ideal if Python
> has performance similar to Java, with both being interpreted languages.

-1 This would seriously muck-up the evolution of the language.
Having a few building blocks written in C provides a basis
for writing very fast pure python (for example, sets, heapq,
itertools).
Beyond those building blocks, it is a step backwards to write in C.

Also, if you really need performance, the traditional solutions are to
use tools like Psyco or Pyrex.

Raymond