Minimalistic Software Transactional Memory

Michael Sparks ms at cerenity.org
Sun Dec 9 16:03:37 EST 2007

John J. Lee wrote:

> Durus might be worth a look too (though I doubt it's suitable for your
> situation):
>
> http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/durus/
>
> The link to their paper about it seems to be broken, but I think it
> was based somewhat on ZODB, but is simpler (67k tarball :-).

Much appreciated. I've downloaded this and it looks more suitable,
however it still looks like overkill... After all, I'm just after a
simple system for concurrent update of in-memory shared values by
multiple threads - how hard can that be ?[1] ;-) :-)

     [1] Yes, yes, for those who don't know me, I know, I know... :-)

Thanks to Fuzzyman's comments and a code review on IRC I think I've got what
I think is a minimally sufficient system - though I'll extend to include
Fuzzyman's suggestion regarding concurrent update of multiple independent
values :-)

Code is here for those curious/wanting something similar/similarly
lightweight:

https://kamaelia.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kamaelia/trunk/Sketches/MPS/Experiments/NewSTM.py

I'll package it up independently of the rest of Kamaelia as well probably
once I've made the addition noted above :-)

Regards,

Michael