Is a "real" C-Python possible?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Dec 11 15:53:33 EST 2007

John Nagle schrieb:
> sturlamolden wrote:
>> On 10 Des, 23:49, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
>>
>>> "Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming."
>>> --C.A.R. Hoare (often misattributed to Knuth, who was himself quoting
>>> Hoare)
>
>    We're ten years into Python, and it's still a naive interpreter.
> It's time for a serious optimizing compiler.  Shed Skin is going
> in the right direction.  But for some reason, people seem to dislike the
> Shed Skin effort. Its author writes "Am I the only one seeing the potential
> of an implicitly statically typed Python-like-language that runs at
> practically the same speed as C++?"
>
>    "For a set of 27 non-trivial test programs (at about 7,000 lines in
> total; ... measurements show a typical speedup of 2-40 times over Psyco,
> about 10 on average, and 2-220 times over CPython, about 35 on
> average."  So that's
> what's possible.

No, it's not. Shedskin is interesting, but just a small subset of Python
- and without completeness, performance is useless.

The PyPy approach is much more interesting - first create a
full-featured Python itself, then create optimizing backends for it,
also for just a language subset - RPython.

And if possible - which it is only in a very limited set of cases for
not type-annotated code - identify parts that conform to RPython's
constraints, and compile that JITly.

Diez