It's ok to __slots__ for what they were intended (was: Don't use __slots__ (was Re: Why custom objects take so much memory?))

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 17:57:26 EST 2007

On Dec 18, 4:49 pm, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> In article <mailman.2538.1198008758.13605.python-l... at python.org>,
>
> Chris Mellon <arka... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >You can reduce the size of new-style classes (inherit from object) by
> >quite a bit if you use __slots__ to eliminate the class dictionary.
>
> You can also reduce your functionality quite a bit by using __slots__.
> Someday I'll have time to write up a proper page about why you shouldn't
> use __slots__....

Shouting absolute commands without full understanding of the situation
is not going to help anyone.

The OP wanted to minimize memory usage, exactly the intended usage of
slots.  Without knowing more about the OP's situation, I don't think
your or I or Chris Mellon can be sure it's not right for the OP's
situation.

You're obviously smart and highly expert in Python--I just wish you
would be more constructive with your advice.

Carl Banks