"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Russ P. Russ.Paielli at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 15:10:12 EST 2007

On Dec 1, 2:10 am, Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-
mail-0306.20.chr0n... at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Russ P. wrote:
> > I agree that Python is not a good name for a programming language,
>
> Why not?

Think about proposing its use to someone who has never heard of it
(which I did not too long ago). As the OP pointed out, a Python is a
snake. Why should a programming language be named after a snake?

> BTW, is "Windows" a great name for an operating system?

No.

> > Speaking of stupid names, what does "C++" mean?
>
> It's "C incremented".

I know that. But "C" was already a dumb name, and "C++" compounded the
dumbness. Actually, "C" was probably intended as a temporary name for
internal use, but not for a widely used, standard language.

> > I think it's the grade you get when you just barely missed
> > a "B--".
>
> So what dou you think about D language? :) Or F or F#?

I think that one-letter names are even worse for languages than they
are for variables.