Python for Java programmer

Berco Beute cyberco at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 17:01:22 EST 2007

Welcome to Python!

One way to get you up to speed fast (and fun) is take some java app
you've written and implement it in Jython. After you've done that, and
gotten over the pleasant surprise of how short and clean your code has
become, go over the source again and see where you can replace calls
to java libs with calls to Python libs. E.g. for xml & xpath use
ElementTree instead of JDom, for timing use Python's timeit module,
etcetera. Although I've been using Python for a while now I've done
the same thing recently and was surprised by how clearly that exercise
showed Python's strengths.

Just go ahead and start programming is the best way to learn about the
philosophies behind a language.

2B