Is a "real" C-Python possible?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Dec 10 17:44:19 EST 2007

Jack a écrit :
 > Aahz a écrit
>>
>>Could you provide some evidence that Python is slower than Java or PHP?
>

> I think most Java-Python benchmarks you can find online will indicate
> that Java is a 3-10 times faster. A few here:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-January/125789.html
> http://blog.snaplogic.org/?p=55

This last one points to a funny anthology (year 2k, Python 1.5.2 and
Java 1.1) piece of a paper (electronic paper of course) if you read past
the "benchmark" part (which BTW doesn't pretend to be that serious - the
'do nothing' test is just hilarious). I really like this part (sorry, I
only kept the titles - but you can have a look at the whole text, url is
below):

"""
* Unresolved Release-Critical Bugs in Java*
1. Don't Use Swing.
(snip rant about Swing memory leaks, just kept this:)
The AWT does this too, but you could probably write an application that
ran for longer than 20 minutes using it.

2. Don't allocate memory.
(snip)
3. Don't use java.lang.String.intern
(snip)
4. Don't expect your app to run
(snip)
5. Don't print anything
(snip)
6. Don't write large apps
(snip)
7. Don't write small apps
(snip)
"""

Heck... This sure looks like a very high price to pay wrt/ "raw speed"
gain !-)

Oh, yes, the url:
http://www.twistedmatrix.com/users/glyph/rant/python-vs-java.html

Yeps, that's it : twisted. No surprise the guy "decided to move Twisted
Reality to python."

It's really worth reading. While I was by that time a total newbie to
programming, and will probably never be anything close to the author, it
looks like we took a similar decision at the same time, and mostly based
on similar observations : *in practice*, Java sucks big time - when
Python JustWorks(tm).