Best way to protect my new commercial software.

Ravi Kumar ra21vi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 00:59:38 EST 2007

> 1. Put all the compiled Python bytecode in a heavily encrypted binary
> file. Consider using a hardware hash in the key.
>
> 2. Program a small binary executable (.exe file) in C or C++ that:
>
>   2a. Reads the binary file.
>
>   2b. Decrypts it to conventional Python byte code.
>
>   2c. Embeds a Python interpreter.
>
>   2d. Executes the bytecode with the embedded Python interpreter.
>
> 3. Protect the executable with a licence manager such as Flexlm or
> SoftwarePassport.
>
> I will not make reverse engineering impossible, but it will be
> extremely difficult.
>
> As noted, the only completely safe solution is to provide a web
> application instead of distributing your program.
>

> --

Guidelines are good. but as you stated, web application instead of desktop
apps. Well, the main aim and interest here was to protect it against piracy
and web application are easier to be get shared and pirated than desk apps.
And there is no foolproof method known to me. Even Flexlm used in
Acrobat(Adobe) is cracked in easy manner.
The best thing to me looks like none. You can go with anything, and always
fear that if the app is needed by many others, it will be cracked.
Othewise, the method stated above is good to go.
Get app core into python, encrypt-assemble the compiled python code with
some key.
When launched, get it reversed to python bytecode and there you go,.
Now, since your apps loader is built in C, you can apply available methods
for C/C++/

Remember, since python is readable easily, you fear so. But no language
exists which humans can't read.
At worst level, they will have to go for Assembly Level decompiling, but
thats possible too
--
-=Ravi=-