String of integers separated by commas surrounded by square brackets to a list (was Re:)

Tim Couper tim.couper at scivisum.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 17:50:17 EST 2007

It looks like you have a string which starts and ends with square
brackets and is a repeated group of (integer, comma (and perhaps
space)). What you don't have is a "string with a list in it" :-)

One solution:

s="[16, 16, 2, 16, 2, 16, 8, 16]"

mylist=[int(s.strip()) for s in  s[1:-1].split(',')]

Tim

Dr Tim Couper
CTO, SciVisum Ltd

www.scivisum.co.uk