looking for gui for python code

Thomas Lenarz Thomas.Lenarz at netcologne.de
Fri Dec 14 10:37:16 EST 2007

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:46:32 -0800 (PST), "devnew at gmail.com"
<devnew at gmail.com> wrote:

>hi
>i have written some python scripts which take command line arguments
>and do some job. i would like to make it into a .exe using py2exe and
>distribute it with innosetup.. befor that i would like to add some GUI
>support..i mean select some values using a folder explorer etc..which
>would be a good gui builder for this?

Hi,

I am not able to help out concerning GUI-Builders. However, it appears
that the GUI-support you neeed is not getting too complex. Therefore,
I would recommend to hand-code the GUI-parts using TKInter.

Advantages:

-It is there already. No need to install a separate GUI-Builder and
lerning how to use it. Not too much thinking what needs to be
installed on your user's workstation.
-TKInter and TCL/TK are very stable.
-TCL/TK is well documented. (Unfortunately one has to refer to the
TCL/TK documentation because the TKInter documentation does not go
very far.)
-It is quite easy to learn.
-It contains a file-browsing dialogue (resp. a wrapper around the one
provided by your OS/Desktop-Environment.)

You might have a start at the TKinter-Part of the library-reference.

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-Tkinter.html

You will have to spend some time on learning how to use TK, of course.
However, I think that is a good investment rather than spending the
time evaluating different GUI-Builders.

The said is valid for less complex GUIs. For complex GUIs especially
with huge amounts of entry-fields it is better to use a GUI-builder
especially for later maintenance. Handcoded GUI-code might get nearly
unreadable after it has been changed during the lifetime of a software
(, and by different developers)

Regards,
Thomas