New to Python Would like debug advice

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Tue Dec 18 04:25:15 EST 2007

Ramsey Nasser a écrit :
> On Dec 17, 2007 9:17 PM, PatrickMinnesota <PatrickMinnesota at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yep, I'm new to the language, it's been a couple of months.
>>
>> I opted for gvim and console window for developing on a Windows XP
>> box.  I'm not a huge fan of IDEs except for when I need some
>> debugging.  I've done my googling and see a bunch of options out there
>> for a debugging solution for Python on Windows.
>>
>> I've used Eclipse for a few years for Java development and I
>> understand there is a Python module for it that might make sense.
>>
>> What I'm looking for is advice on what to use to debug general Python
>> programs at the source level, some will be graphical.  If the eclipse
>> route is the way to go, that's fine, but I'm wondering what other
>> options people have good luck with.  Keep in mind I will probably
>> continue to use Vi/Emacs and a console window for my main development.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>>

> Debugging Python in eclipse is great.

Specially thru ssh on an overloaded web server...

> It's the same as debugging in
> Java, so you don't have to learn any new interface or concepts to get
> started.

There's some differences here. I don't even dream of trying to write any
non-trivial Java progarm without a debugger. OTHO, I already wrote a few
non-trivial Python programs (and some others that would have been
non-trivial in Java) without having to use pdb - a couple trace and the
interactive shell where quite enough. So perhaps there's at least one
new concept to learn here : you don't need a mammoth IDE to be
productive with an agile language.

My 2 cents.