missing pydoc gui

TommW tomwebb at ctel.net
Wed Dec 26 20:46:40 EST 2007

JimG wrote:
> On Dec 26, 1:56 pm, Bernard Delmée <bdelmee at advalvas._REMOVEME_.be>
> wrote:
>> (I know replying to self is a sure sign of aging :-)
>> A quick update: after installing the 'tkinter' fedora
>> package (still in live-cd mode), the following 3 lines
>> script does what "pydoc -g " should:
>>
>>      import Tkinter
>>      import pydoc
>>      pydoc.gui()
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Bernard.
>
> Brilliant!  That's an easy solution to my problem.  I'll try posting
> to one of the Fedora forums to see if anyone there knows why.  I
> appreciate your help with this.  I love Linux but every now and then
> you run into one of its annoying little oddities....

Jim:

I have a copy of Fedora 8 in a VMachine.  I found that I could get the
Pydoc Server to start by doing the following.  I also found that I had
to install tkinter first.  I then modified a copy of "pydoc" in usr/bin
as follows:

#!/usr/bin env python2.5

import pydoc
if __name__ == '__main__':
     pydoc.gui()			# Was pydoc.cli() in the original "pydoc"

I then named it "pydocgui", saved it to the desktop for now, then set it
to open with Python in its document properties.

If I double click on this file, then select run from the dialog, the
Pydoc Server opens.

TomW