Python DLL in Windows Folder

Ross Ridge rridge at caffeine.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 25 04:31:42 EST 2007

Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:
>Python is more than an application.  It's a development tool, and its DLLs
>are needed by any of the Python applications I create.  I disagree with
>your assertion.

A development tool is an application, and is covered by the same best
practice guidelines as any other Windows application.

>>The system directory is ment only for drivers and system files.
>
>In your view, what disqualifies python24.dll as a "system file"?  The fact
>that it wasn't produced by Microsoft?

By definition, all system files on Windows are supplied by Microsoft.
They're sometimes produced by other companies, and they can be installed
by third-party applications, but only Microsoft gets to say what is a
supported part of the Windows operating system and thus a system file.

>>Installing application DLLs in the system directory is something that
>>should only be done for backwards compatiblity.
>
>Deployment of Python applications is much easier when python24.dll is
>located there.   That has to weigh in the equation.

*shrug*  I'm sure it wasn't done malicously.  I'm not arguing that Python
should change it behaviour, I know how utterly pointless that would be.
However, like it or not it doesn't follow the best practices for Windows
applications.  I'm just hoping that no one reading this thread will
think that Python is doing the "Right Thing" and copy its behaviour.

					Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo]  rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca