is it possible to install 2 Python versions on windows XP ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 14:39:18 EST 2007

I finally found a way to let everything work:

My base system is a stable Scipy installation, based on Python 2.4,
with a few extra or updated libraries.
This Python installation is completed with RPYC and PyScripter,
to form a good workplace to develop GUI through wxPython.

Installing of a working Python 2.5 version is done in the following way:
- get a winXP system on which Python is not necessary
- install on that PC Python 2.5
- copy from windows\system32\Python25.dll
           to  the root where you installed Python 2.5
- now you can move the newly created root map to any place you like
- place a shortcut to python.exe on your desktop
- drop any file you like to run in Python 2.5 on the shortcut

Seems to work like a charm.
But maybe there might be better ways.

cheers,
Stef