Python too complex ?!?!?!

Jacob Hallen jacob at cd.chalmers.se
Sat Dec 8 16:57:49 EST 2007

In article <mailman.1525.1195847324.13605.python-list at python.org>,
Chris Mellon <arkanes at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Nov 22, 2007 3:04 PM, Brian <not_here at no_where.com> wrote:
>
>> / Chime Mode <ON>
>> I have, in fact, sent this thread to my friend.
>> His limiting factors are
>>
>> - money-control people favor MS platforms
>> - C# and VS have minimal cost impact for academia
>> - sys admins have everything locked down (probably
>> essential for high school and community college)
>> - both Python 2.4.2, then 2.5.1, on XP and Win2k
>> crashed approx 10% of lab cptrs, so lab techs refused
>> to allow further install of any 'third-party' s/w.
>> (side note - I have installed Python and all the
>> supporting stuff for PyVISA on 14 work-site (11 XP, 3
>> Debian) cptrs with no problem, so I do not understand).
>> - no such thing as TAs in JC or HS.
>> - CS instructors, for the effected schools, are not
>> allowed to config machines or admin the network.
>> - money-control people want students to learn skills
>> that are on the IT buzz-word list.
>> - my friend is no longer allowed to use me as an
>> 'unofficial' assistant in these classes (not considered
>> qualified because I only have a B.S. degree), so he
>> only uses stuff that existing staff are (supposedly)
>> familiar with...
>> / Chime Mode <OFF>
>>
>> I told my friend, the wannabe Python instructor, to
>> walk away from any more volunteer work, and stick to
>> the paid stuff. American education, what a mess...
>>

>Pretty unfortunate stuff, especially that he doesn't have any
>permission to configure the machines for his course. These are all
>(mostly?) political problems in his specific situation, though, not
>issues with Python per se - except in the general sense that Python
>doesn't get much respect.
>
>Except possibly the crashes, although honestly public school computer
>labs tend to be incredibly hostile environments (admin lockdowns
>notwithstanding).
>
>Support for even mildly off the beaten track thinking is in short
>supply in most schools, I'm sad to hear of your friends problems.

When you install Microsoft software,like C#/.NET,and it fails, this is percieved as
your problem. You did not have the skills required to do the job.

When you fail to install third party software, like Python, this is percieved to
be a problem with the software package. The people building it did not have
the skills required to do the job properly.

Microsoft has this teflon effect. Never their fault that things do not work as
expected.

Jacob